This is the last entry in the Meningitis Diary. If you have just arrived, and want to start from the beginning, click here.
Otherwise...
This was a uniquely stressful and emotional time for our family. It is only now, as I write this in April, that I can say that life is beginning to get back to normal. "L" is now home, and is getting back into her old habits – going out late, coming back early (in the morning, that is), ... and we are very glad to see this. It wasn't that long ago that this would have been the cause of “words being said”! How things change.
Here's a strange thought. I feel that my whole life prepared me for this event. Just to mention a few things ...
- Many years ago, I studied French and lived a while in Geneva. I acquired confidence in the language (although no great fluency nor vocabulary).
- My career has made me calm, rational and analytical.
- I know a little about medicine. Notably, I can recognise the side-effects of anti-nausea drugs.
- I reluctantly became a Christian (not that long ago either), and have been learning slowly about prayer and God's love.
Here is what I have learned, and want to share with you ...
- If you are young (15-24), or have young relatives or babies (under 3), read up on Meningitis. The list of symptoms sound like flu, but feel like nothing on earth. Early treatment is vital for a full recovery. Treating it like flu (for example: trying to sleep it off) can be fatal. Remember, it is an inflammation of the brain lining, so late treatment (if not fatal) can result in permanent effects: back pain, headaches, visual problems, partial paralysis, emotional and psychological issues, and more!
- If in difficulty, phone a friend. I am sure "Z" saved my daughter's life. Had "L" gone back to bed and missed the doctor, I am convinced she would not have survived.
- If you are a citizen of any European nation, and you travel to any other European country, take an EHIC Card with you. It is free to apply for. It gives you access to the local nationalised/subsidised health service, as if you are a citizen of that nation. You may still be liable for some of the bill, but travel insurance should cover that. Health schemes vary from country to country; find out before you go.
- Make sure you know what telephone number to ring for emergency services!
- If you learn nothing else of the local language, learn how to be polite. Saying "please" and "thank you", even badly, will ease your way through many difficulties.
- If you get into trouble, pray, and prepare to take advantage of all the little miracles that come along. I enjoyed several more than those mentioned in this diary. I forget the details now, but one was as simple as overhearing a conversation between two strangers, ... who just happened to be talking about the very thing I needed to know! Luck? No. As a Christian, I know who to thank, and will thank Him for the rest of my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment