Sunday, 17 August 2008

Meningitis Diary - Paris, Monday March 3rd, 22:00

I arrive at the hospital, and meet "Z" for the first time. Despite my previous suggestions to look after herself, she has eaten nothing since first coming out to be with "L". 3rd miracle: I had bought two baguette sandwiches at the Gare du Nord. No idea why two; it just seemed a good idea at the time. So I offer her one. She seems on the verge of tears, saying this is the best present anyone has ever bought her. She leaves, showered with my gratitude, and I go in to see "L". The meeting is emotional. She is very poorly, and not like my daughter at all.

She is in an isolation ward – a single room. No one must go in without washing hands and donning a paper mask. Similarly leaving has its own ritual (washing again, and disposing of the mask). Thanks to my homework, I am now aware that Meningitis is transmitted via coughs & sneezes, so I am not surprised at this. "L" is connected to a drip stand with several transparent bags of fluids. We gradually work out over the days that these are saline, antibiotics, pain killers, and an anti-nausea drug.

No comments: