Saturday, 16 August 2008

Meningitis Diary - Paris, Monday March 3rd, 10:00

The girls are taken to a local general hospital. Despite her painful condition (especially the excruciating back and headache), "L" is placed on a trolley in a corridor, next to a screaming infant. Tests are performed. By 11am, I hear that the doctors are investigating a possible case of Meningitis. Samples of "L"'s spinal fluid are taken, causing her even more pain when the first couple of lumbar punctures are botched. Only once this diagnosis is confirmed is "L" whisked away from the infant, and placed in an isolated room.

I inform work that I am going to Paris, and cannot say when I will return. They agree to this, although they know it will not make any difference if they say “no”. Not knowing anything about Meningitis, I look that up while arranging a ticket on Eurostar. Frightening stuff. Next I plan my route to the hospital.

No comments: